« Autumn Equinox Day | Main | Off to California »

September 28, 2008


After eight years in Japan, I finally made it to a sumo tournament. It was really amazing!


Actually, I have had a very busy weekend! I met Glenn on Friday night for what was supposed to be a glorious, two-hour, all-you-can-eat Brazilian Steak feast, but the restaurant was booked, so we settled for Tony Roma's (another first for me in Japan, by the way). Afterward, we had a few drinks at Legends in Roppongi before I rushed to make my last train.

Saturday morning I woke up early and was back on the train to go to Mito-san's barbecue in Izumi Tamagawa by 10am. If you time the journey right, it is about an hour and a half trip. At Fujisawa, If you accidently get on the local train instead of the express it is closer to two hours. Unfortunately, I wasn't exactly in the best condition for making judgement calls. In any case, I made it. I wish I could have stayed longer, but Max had invited me to the sumo tournament so after a short stay I was off to ride the rails some more.

The Tokyo-based sumo tournaments are held at the arena in Ryougoku. It is my first visit to the area and I would like to go back and explore some more. The Tokyo-Edo museum is also there and seems to be worth a visit. Anyway, we had amazing seats courtesy of Max's friend Takako. In the left-hand picture below, she is on the left and that is Max in the middle.

We were in row six, which is in the "sunakaburi" seats and basically means that you are in range of the salt that the wrestlers throw around to purify the ring. In practical terms, it means that you cannot eat anything there. On the other hand, we all got these giant bags of food when we left to make up for it. The right-hand side picture is advertising...they would circle the ring on an irregular basis.

IMG_1815.JPG IMG_1797.JPG

Sumo is very complicated so I am not even going to try and explain it. But, I will leave you one more picture of the sumo wrestlers lining up before the start of their matches.


After it finished, Max and I went to Hub in Korakuen for a few drinks and once again I ended up on a late night train home. Today...I have nothing planned. Woo!

Posted by Kirk on September 28, 2008 11:22 AM